Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Babysitting Grandpa- Jane Returns

There was a lot going on in the city this past weekend, so I left grandpa to his own devices again. I rushed home tuesday morning because I knew grandma was going to be home by 2:30 and I didn't want to get into trouble for leaving grandpa alone..or other things. I woke up bright and early to catch an early train but when I called grandpa to ask If he'd be home to pick me up, he said "sorry babe, I'm playing cards". I couldn't stay in the city a minute longer, I needed to get back. I was also starting to feel hungry because food is scarce around 20 something's in NYC..In my heart I knew the cornucopia awaited me not so far away. I decided to just take the earlier train and compromise the 7 dollars I would have spent on breakfast and coffee, for a Lindys Taxi ride home from the station..It's a good thing I was told to always follow my gut.

When I walked into the kitchen I could see crumbs on the counters, the floor, the table, the stove..big ones. The meals I prepared for each day, he ate none of them. Instead, he made peanut butter and jellies and tomato soup. His laundry was the size of a small hill. Grandpa, grandpa, grandpa.

I tidied up and cleaned out the refrigerator. The door opened at 12:30, and it was grandpa getting his hat before he headed to the airport, I knew our special time was coming to an end when he ran past me and said "see ya later turkey, I'm going to pick up my chick!"

It was beautiful outside so I drove to the beach before they came home. I was getting excited to see grandma. When I got back, there was my lady reading her newspaper on the couch. I felt a nice comfort like our tripod had gotten its third leg back. Mama bird was back at the nest. I was glad I sacrificed the 7 dollars to take the early train home and clean because she took notice of my efforts. I'm making a point of observing that woman with even more careful attention, because now I really know the hard work and time it takes to be a successful Jane Paladino. I am reminded when grandpa tells me that there is one word I need to remember for the rest of my life, "anticipate", that my training is not over.


1 comment:

Diana said...

Love it honey! You are so cute! You're writing styling makes me really believe I am right there with you. :-) Wouldn't that be a hoot! And the mention of the cornucopia was not lost on me.....