Saturday, March 31, 2012

An adventure for Jane and Carl

Yesterday morning was a little surreal. I felt like I was watching life happen from somebody else's body. Grandma and grandpa had an old family friend who is a real estate agent come over to take a look at the house. After 46 years of living in this house, their going to be moving to one of my favorite places, North Carolina. Yes, it's really happening, and I'm here to tell you I'm witnessing this transition. It was never a thought in my mind, or anybody else's that this day would come, so it is very strange to be experiencing, but I am thrilled and excited for this new beginning for them.

Understandably, Grandpa did not take the idea lightly at first. He has lived his whole life on Long Island. He is a Cancer, and Cancers are homebodies, as Grandma has reminded me numerous times. His home is his sanctuary.

To my extreme surprise one morning, he was wide open. Maps were spread all over their bed, and he was asking me to help him research homes on the internet, "Lexi, tell me about google..". Instead of sweeping it under the rug and avoiding this small fear of his, he was embracing it. I was floored. This was very inspiring for me to see, and I was finding a new kind of respect and love for him. It is a beautiful courageous thing to see somebody walk into fear. If grandpa could embrace and do this, then there is much hope for a lot of things.

When I woke up yesterday, although it was a dreary rainy day, all the lights were on in the house, and It felt warm and cozy. Grandpa was putting her on display and you could feel the care that had been given to every nook and cranny of this lady. This is a strong house that stands beautiful today because of all the love it's been given through the years. When something broke, it was tended to and fixed, when updating needed to be done, it was done, when room was tight, they made more space. It shows me what caring and loving something can mean, the effect it can have, and how important it is to take care of what matters to you.

Their real estate agent is an old friend of my dads, aunt, and uncles. Its a comfort to them and I'm sure to the rest of the family, that he's selling the house, because he understands the care that has been given to this house over the years..he knows how precious it is to grandpa, that it holds many of his fondest memories. It's hard to believe this is all really happening, but seeing how excited and ready they are makes me very excited, and happy for them, and their new journey.



Much love..and happy birthday Aunt Robin!
-Lexi Lou

No comments: