Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dont let the weeds get ahead of you

Something that really mellows me out is country music, so I like to listen to it while I work. I listened to it while working hard weeding out the garden beds last Thursday. It just makes me think of big open spaces, summertime, square dance halls outside, string lights, crescent moons, lots of smiling nice people in jeans and cowboy boots laughing, just letting it all fly with not a care in the world.

When I came into the house really quick I found grandma ironing her heart away in her bedroom. I was saying I forgot how intense weeding can be but it felt nice like I was "returning to nature" as grandpa had said, and she commented "this really is all exhausting work, but could you imagine if we had to be in the hunger games?" We both have curious minds that are often on the exact same page, and I've imagined it a number of times.

When grandpa and I sat on the porch admiring the work we'd done and the unbelievably beautiful weather, he told me "the best thing you can do when it comes to weeds, is to never let them get ahead of you, because if you do, you'll just find yourself in a big mess kiddo."

No comments: