Friday, March 9, 2012

Babysitting Grandpa-The weekend

On Friday morning I came downstairs and caught grandpa before he was leaving for "the office" which is code for, playing poker at the country club. He told me he had to make money to take me out to Captain Bills, and he sure did! He won 14 dollars. So he took me out, and It was a pleasant surprise when we ran into my aunt and uncle. As soon as we sat down he got ketchup on his sweater vest, and compared it to a Seinfeld episode. My aunt advised me to look elsewhere if I wanted to waitress, so I took her advice. After dinner grandpa joked around and asked me if I wanted to go dancing, I said of course! He thought I was joking..but I really wanted to.

I felt I was taking a risk but I spent Saturday in the city, I know he's his own man and he can handle it for a day. When I walked in the door Sunday afternoon he told me he had something important to show me. He took me to his desk and showed me a hand written letter to decline a wedding invitation. It was a beautiful hand scripted letter, but I wasn't sure what his point was. Then he pulled out a lined piece of paper, which he had gone over the lines with a sharpie pen. What a clever trick, he places the blank stationary paper over the sharpie lined paper and uses it as a guide. This is all part of his "training program", if your lucky one day, you may be invited personally by him to take part in it. Afterwards I checked around the house and everything looked in its place, but there were a few extra crumbs on the counter..Jane wouldn't have liked this..

It's going to be in the 60s here all week, which means we might be taking cocktail hour to the rocking chairs on the porch, this is classic Jane and Carl and the little Southerner in me loves it.

No comments: